I have never been a rucksack kind of girl, for the last few years I’ve been obsessed with big old totes to chuck all my bits and bobs in, it’s so bad even my friends notice and say that I’m walking around with everything including the kitchen sink. I’m also a big fan of clutches they are great, quite the opposite of a tote but they make the perfect evening bag and I am especially loving the folding clutches this season.
The last time I owned a back pack was some many years ago way back in school and I loved it, I remember it like yesterday I was hell bent on getting an Eastpak bag but I must say they were nothing like they are today and especially not like the collection they brought out in 2012 entitled The Designers Against Aids. This was a collection of 200 bags whereby it was part of a collaboration project that saw 130 of the edgiest artists, sculptures, street artists, musicians and fashion designers channel their personality and imagination into cool, quirky designs in the shape of the traditional Eastpak rucksack.
Last year we saw the rucksack trend become a street style epidemic, where everywhere you go you saw someone with one on whether it was for a practical everyday use or it was worn as a fashion statement. One way to make a fashion statement with a backpack is to invest in an A/W 12 piece from The Damien Hirst X The Row Collection. The range saw the creative designs of Hirst meeting affinity of luxury bags from the Olsen Twins who are the mini moguls behind luxe brand The Row. The collection consisted of nine stylish backpacks that display precision in craftsmanship, a true hybrid of art in an Avant guard and graphic designs.
There’s a backpack for everyone and if you’re a lover of eco-friendly fashion, bags by Cylus are just what you are looking for with their ‘Pangolin’ design. The bags Cylus design are made from recyclable material in unique designs of a fashion forward style aesthetic. Cylus designs an array of styles of bags that also includes clutches and totes.
Back packs are worth the investment because when you carry a bag over your lower arm for a long time and you it is heavy; this can end damaging your back. Rucksack’s on the other hand help to reduce the risks of this problem because the weight can get distributed evenly across your shoulders. So, there are some real great health benefits from donning a backpack and with so many stylish rucksacks around, we all should be more than willing to ditch the traditional carrier for a stylish season pick. With so many styles to choose from it can become a little overwhelming in knowing which one to choose. I’ve made life a little easier for you by listing the top designer and high street styles.
1. Pierre Hardy- Stunning designer animal print backpack made in pony hair and calf skin.
2. Topshop- This Nylon quilted rucksack is super stylish and cool at a reasonable priced high street number.
3. Barbara Gongini- An adorable designer fur bag in black is a sophisticated and elegant way to rock a backpack.
4. MCM- Embellished studded and diamante backpack in tan leather an invest piece you can use season after season.
5. Topshop- A versatile bag in a patent leather like design that you can work into your everyday wardrobe.
6. Miss Selfridge- A cool handcrafted backpack made using Indian fabrics, perfect for the boho chic kind of girl.
7. Eastpak-A monochrome striped black and white bag is a real statement piece that will go with most of your looks.
8. Isme- A printed canvas black and white printed bag with big external pocks is excellent value for money.
There you have it cool embellished backpack styles, that I just can’t get enough of this season. Which one would you choose?