There’s been a wave of pom-poms flooding the high street lately and, while it’s a diversion from our usual preference for something more minimal, they’re proving difficult to resist. Ever since they cropped up all over Issa’s collaboration with LK Bennet last year, we’ve been looking at the childrenswear staple in a whole new way. Whether in classic colour ways or bright, punchy hues that speak of summertime parties, they’re being dotted over some of our favourite pieces this summer. So as the time to plan last-minute holiday wardrobes comes around, here’s a handful of our favourites.
1. Jasper & Jeera’s red and white straw clutch, with embroidery and a few rows of pom-poms, is one of our most wanted bags this summer. Available from Anthropologie, it reminds us of long summer days in Mexico and only needs a deep tan to set it off. Just the thing for updating last year’s summer dresses, and it’ll look great with denim too.
2. This casual cover-up combines two of this summer’s biggest trends: kimono shapes and Aztec prints. Kimono jackets are really everywhere this year and they’re so easy to layer over pretty much everything, while Aztec prints have reappeared every summer for as long as we can remember. This one from New Look has a subtle row of pom-poms at the hem, to bring it more up to date.
3. Loeffler Randall’s raffia clutch mixes matte faux leather with an industrial-looking buckle and woven straw. It’s a riot of texture that somehow works, thanks to the spiky row of pom-poms that sit along the top. If you were afraid that pom-poms might be too feminine or too bright for your taste, this is the clutch bag to grab.
4. If ever there was a doubt that pom-poms belong in an adult woman’s wardrobe, this J. Crew tank proves them wrong. The V-shaped neckline is bang on trend, while the loose fit and floral embroidery keep it feeling classic. And it comes in a choice of three colours: we like the classic combination of navy and white but the coral version is a bit more interesting. Take it on holiday or work it into your weekend wardrobe with a pair of skinny jeans.
5. For the pom-pom shy, these cute socks from J. Crew are a subtle nod to the trend. Let the trim detail peak out from sneakers and slip-on trainers for a boy-meets-girl look – and add cropped trousers or shorts to show them off.
6. These ASOS sandals were made for Notting Hill Carnival (or beach parties somewhere much more exotic), with pink, orange and purple pom-poms around the ankle. Team them with a floppy hat, a billowy blouse and relaxed denim for an effortless look with a hit of holiday-ready colour.
7. Topshop’s tile print dress is the ultimate easy summer outfit. The navy pom-poms here are subtle and undersized, dotting their way along the neckline and bordering each print panel. Its skinny straps and loose fit mean you can just throw it on for a day at the beach, or dress it up with sandals in the city.